Tuesday, December 24, 2013

2nd Holiday Movie: It's a Wonderful Life



Did you think I forgot my countdown? Were you sitting around constantly refreshing this blog, holding your breath, hoping I would finally update it? What is the rest of her list??? Yes, I know you were. I'm sorry it's taken me so long. Christmas cheer and whatnot got in my way. But I'm back with number 2 (heh). It's a Wonderful Life!  

I didn't have time to sit down and really watch this movie, but I did turn it on yesterday while doing other things. My DVD copy offers two version: Black and White and Color. Now why in the world would you want to watch It's a Wonderful Life in color? That's blasphemy! I have never watched the color version DVD. And I probably never will.

I know this is a love it or hate it movie. The darkness of the movie doesn't make it the most upbeat of the Christmas movies. George Bailey gets pretty low before he comes back up, ready to give up his life in order to make everyone else's life better.

I think this is a movie most people can relate to. So many of us give up or put aside our dreams for our families and "do the right thing." George gives up his dreams of traveling to stay and marry Mary (the scene when he realizes he can't let go her makes my heart beat fast every time) and save his father's dream instead... The old building and loan.

The scene that gets me the most is always the scene when a young George Bailey realizes Mr. Gower, the druggist, is about to poison a customer because he's drunk and grieving and poor George doesn't know what to do, but knows he can't let it happen. Even when he knows Mr. Gower will be angry with him. And he is, smacking George repeatedly in the ear. The violence of this scene is always shocking, but makes that moment when Mr. Gower realizes his mistake that much more poignant. I cry every time. I actually have tears in my eyes right now thinking about it and I watched it not that long ago. It's that powerful of a scene.

But of course this movie is filled with these moments. I hate the scenes when he finds out what the world would be like without him. But I love when he comes back. I thought it was about time other people sacrificed themselves for George instead of him making all the sacrifices. But that's the beauty of George Bailey... He would never think of asking them.

The darkness of this movie is what puts it in number 2 on my list. There are not a lot of Christmas carol's to fill you with the spirit of Christmas, but it does fill you with the spirit of life and a deeper appreciation of our roles in this world and how we affect other's. I'm glad to have you, my readers and friends. Especially a bunch of my former coworkers who sent me a care package/holiday present that just made my day..my life. You guys know who you are! You rock! And you gave me wine. Wine helps all!

I guess I will post my favorite movie on Christmas. Fitting! If you know me, you've probably guessed it, but I'll still not say until tomorrow. Happy Christmas Eve all!

No comments: