Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Interview with Liza James/Donna Marie Rogers. Oh, and donuts! Mmmm....

Today on Melly's Spot, I have writer Liza James, who also goes by the name of Donna Marie Rogers. This was a fun interview, even if it made me hungry. Check out the recipes on her website and you'll feel the same way!!!

So without further ado, here is my interview with Liza James/Donna Marie Rogers, the uncut version:

On a scale of 1-10, how awesome do you think I am? Be honest. You can go higher than 10 if you like. (No excuses about how you don’t know me and stuff like that).

This is easy. You are so awesome it’s off the charts, I can’t even give you a rating.

I was reading the blurb for your book called Game On and as a wife of a sports fan, I wondered if the premise was based on real life?


Maybe a little...LOL My husband isn’t much of a TV watcher, but if the Chicago Bears are playing, forget it. I can skip naked around the room, and he’ll just tell me to move out of the way.

I was looking at your pictures on your website and noticed you met one of my favorite writers Susan Elizabeth Phillips. You wouldn’t mind if I cut you out and added my picture instead, would you?


Of course not. Feel free to do so with any of the pictures on my website.

Okay, here is the hard-hitting question. You ready? What is your favorite breakfast food?
Right now it’s Honey-Nut Cheerios since I need to lower my cholesterol (aging sucks ). But my dream breakfast is eggs sunnyside up, fried potatoes, ham steak, toast, and plenty of coffee (preferably Dunkin’ Donuts).

You have a feature on your Donna Marie Rogers website called Sara’s Bakery. Are those your recipes? And are they easy to make? I’m not a very good baker. (As most people know).

Most are recipes I’ve been making for years and probably got out of a cookbook originally. Coconut custard pie takes a little time and multi-tasking abilities (which isn’t my forte, so I’ve never made it a second time...LOL), but the zucchini breads are easy (and VERY yummy!), as are chocolate chip cookies. The egg yolk kolacky are de-lish, but they’re also very rich. You can practically hear your arteries clogging as you eat them...LOL The chocolate chunk muffins and donuts I don’t make, but they’re in the book (THERE’S ONLY BEEN YOU) so I decided to search for and include yummy recipes for both.


I see from the cover of your upcoming release, Golden Opportunity that you wrote about a cowboy. As most people know by now, we love cowboys on Melly’s Spot. Can you tell me about this one? And can I have him?


Yeah, I don’t think there are many women who can resist a sexy cowboy, me included. . And since writing a couple menage stories as Liza James, I’ve learned to share, so sure, he’s all yours. But I’ll need him back if I decide to write a sequel (my editor isn’t entirely sure the brother is redeemable, but I think he is, so we’ll see ).

James McMillan is a hardworking, no nonsense sort. He was engaged to the granddaughter of a longtime family friend, but found his brother in bed with said fiance, so needless to say, he doesn’t trust easy. When Angela Roberts shows up on his doorstep with the deed to his brother’s half of the ranch, James is angry—mainly because he’s instantly attracted to her. James doesn’t trust anyone who’s had dealings with his brother.

The anthology you wrote with Stacey Joy Netzel, Welcome to Redemption, looks really good. I also see it got 4 ½ stars from RT. Congratulations! Is it okay if I hate you a little for that? ;o)

Okay, but just a little...LOL Thanks, Melly. Yeah, we we’re completely surprised to receive such a glowing review from RT. Here’s what the reviewer said: ..."Four related tales told by two very talented authors make this anthology a keeper. With their easy, breezy style and skilled characterizations, Rogers and Netzel have created a town that readers won't want to leave..." We’ve been blessed with great reviews and plan to write the sequel later this year.

I see you live in a renovated old schoolhouse. Are there any ghosts?


I wish! I’m a Halloween nut, so I was hoping for a little ghostly action, but so far (15 years) nada. I’ve had a few odd occurrences over the years, but I’m pretty sure it’s just my own family members haunting me.

Okay, this is your turn to add whatever you want. Promote, etc… I’m going to drool over these recipes some more. Mmm…donut.


Thank you, Melly (Psst...If you get a sudden urge to bake, try the chocolate-chocolate chip zucchini bread, it’s simply delicious, moist chocolate cake. I add extra chocolate chips to mine)!

I write erotic romance as Liza James and have five short stories available. LYING EYES with Red Rose Publishing, and ONLY MAN FOR THE JOB, BRANDED, MISCHIEF IN THE DARK, and GAME ON with the Wild Rose Press. Please visit me at: www.lizajamesauthor.com

And I write contemporary romance as Donna Marie Rogers: www.donnamarierogers.com Melly kindly already mentioned WELCOME TO REDEMPTION, which I co-wrote with my critique partner/good friend, Stacey Joy Netzel, but I have two more Donna Marie Rogers titles coming out this year...

GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY, a contemporary western novella which takes place in Golden, Colorado, releases August 6th in e-format from the Wild Rose Press. Here’s a blurb and a short excerpt:

James McMillan is a third generation owner of the most prosperous horse ranch in Golden, Colorado. When a gorgeous little filly shows up at his door waving what she claims to be the deed to half his ranch, James is doubtful. But according to his lawyer the document is authentic—his brother, Reese, sold her his half of the Double M during a poker game in Atlantic City. So not only must James find a way to get back those shares, he needs to fight his growing attraction for his luscious new business partner, who turns out to be a lot more than just a pretty face.

Having been on her own since she was a teenager, Angela Roberts has never wanted nothing more than the security of a real home. Her dreams come true when the chance to own half of a Colorado horse ranch falls into her lap. If Reese McMillan is too blind to appreciate what he has, that's his loss. Only she hadn't counted on the hostile reception she receives from his brother. Surly as a bear, James McMillan is also much to handsome for her peace of mind. Refusing to be intimidated, Angela sets out to win him over by proving she has what it takes to help him run the ranch—and ends up losing her heart to both.
* * *

“What the hell do you mean it’s legal and binding? It’s written on a hotel letterhead, for chrissakes.”

“I’m sorry, James,” his lawyer said with an audible sigh. “It would be legal if it were written on toilet paper. It’s spelled out to the letter, both parties signed it, as well as two witnesses and a notary republic. I’m afraid Miss Angela Roberts owns forty-nine percent of the Double M Ranch.”

James blew out a hard breath. “Thanks, Cal.” He tossed the receiver in its cradle and leaned back in his leather armchair. Bitterness ate at his soul until he thought he might choke on it. Reese’s resentment of James had been going on for so long he could barely remember how the hell it got started. Over something minor, no doubt. And each year the rift between them had grown wider.

Until Reese had stepped over the line and lost James’ respect for good.

He shot to his feet and paced the floor for a few seconds, then headed to the sideboard to pour himself a bourbon. The welcoming burn blazed a path straight to his gut. He downed a second and was about to pour a third when someone knocked on the study door. Shit, the last thing he wanted to do was sit through one of Meara’s lectures. He set his glass down with a thunk, stalked over and yanked open the door.

Only it was Angela standing there in the dim light of the hallway, gazing up at him with those big blue eyes. She wore an oversized New York Giants T-shirt that hung down to just below her knees, and she’d pulled her thick auburn hair up into a ponytail. She looked vulnerable and uncertain and more beautiful than any woman had a right to.

And the bourbon was suddenly warming more than just his stomach.

THERE’S ONLY BEEN YOU, a contemporary romance which takes place in my hometown of Green Bay, Wisconsin (and the first book in my Jamison trilogy), releases in e-format October 10th from the Wild Rose Press, and in print April 2009. Here’s a blurb and a short excerpt:

Sara Jamison has no clue where Mike Andrews' been all these years, but she knows where she's been - busy raising their son. Two weeks after he accused her of cheating and disappeared from her life, Sara discovered she was something she never expected to be—an unwed pregnant teenager. But with the love and support of her annoyingly alpha-male family, she's managed to make a good life for herself and her young son. She even owns her own business, Sara's Bakery, which she's built into a thriving success. Sure, she works too hard and her social life is nonexistent, but for the most part, she's content.

Until the day Detective Mike Andrews walks into her bakery and back into her life...
* * *

Sara glanced over her shoulder when the screen door opened. Mike. The pan she'd been drying fell from her hands and clattered to the floor.

"We need to talk."

"Where's Garrett?" she asked, attempting to peer around his broad shoulders. She tried not to make eye contact with him. As long as she didn't look him directly in the eye, she'd be able to maintain her composure.

"You've always put him on a goddamn pedestal."

She bent over to pick up the pan. "Don't you dare say anything unkind about him."

"He's a pain in the ass."

Sara shot him a look. "He's not the only one."

A slow smile curved his lips. "Now there's the Sara I know and love."

"Don't you dare throw that word around. If you loved me we wouldn't be in this situation." A surge of emotion tightened her chest, and she silently cursed herself for letting him get to her.

Hands on his hips, Mike sighed. "Look, I know you have every reason to believe that, but it's just not true. I've loved you since the first moment I laid eyes on you."

She paused. God, how she wanted to believe him. But if he'd truly loved her as he claimed, he'd never have been able to stay away for so long. She swallowed past the lump in her throat and reached into the drainer for something else to dry.

"All right, I'm done playing. Come on, we're going for a ride." Mike reached out and grasped her elbow.

"I'm not going anywhere with you," she said, yanking her arm free. "If you want to talk, we'll talk, but we're doing it right here." She tossed the dishtowel on the counter and crossed her arms over her chest.

"You either follow me to my truck or I'll throw you over my shoulder and carry you there. But one way or another, we're taking a ride."

She gasped. "If you touch me I'll scream bloody murder."

"Then I guess I'll have to gag you as well."

He took a step toward her. She took a step back.

"You stay the hell away from me." She took another step back and bumped into the table.

"Not a chance. I made that mistake once, I won't make it again."

MEANT TO BE, the second book in the Jamison trilogy, is Garrett’s story and will release sometime next year (Please check out the blurb and excerpt on my website: www.donnamarierogers.com/mtb.html)

Thanks for having me, Melly, it’s been a blast!

10 comments:

Amber Leigh Williams said...

Great interview, Donna/Liza! LOVED the excerpts and can't wait to read both books. I'm definitely trying that recipe you recommended. The chocolate will go very nicely with my current block :)
Hugs,
Amber

Amber Leigh Williams
www.amberleighwilliams.com
FOX & HOUND, "Outstanding Read"
DENIED ORIGIN, Available August 1st
BLACKEST HEART, Coming Soon

Wendi said...

Great interview, Donna! I'm looking forward to Golden Opportunity... and some of that zucchini bread. :)

Wendi Darlin

Stacey Joy Netzel said...

I can vouch for the Choc. Zucc. Bread--I've made it a bunch of times and my kids love it! So does my dad and FIL. :)

As Donna's CP, I can vouch for her stories, too. Great reads! Pick up a copy as soon as they're out. :) Well, I can't vouch for the erotica ones, however, I have read the MANY great reviews she's gotten on them.

Great interview Melly and Donna. :)

Donna Marie Rogers said...

Hi Ladies, thanks for posting!

Amber, I'm rushing to beat the storm, so if I don't make it to Sylvia Kaye's blog this afternoon, I will when the storms pass.

Wendi, I'm so happy to hear from you, you've been so quiet lately! And STILL sitting at #1 at the Wilder Rose Press! ;-)

Stacey, thanks for posting, I'm glad everyone likes the choc. zucchini bread. My zucchini in the garden are almost big enough for the first batch of the year!

Sandy said...

Hi Donna/Liza,
I have read Game On, and it was hot. Fanning myself at the memory and grinning like a sap. I've read Welcome to Redemption, and loved the stories you wrote as well as Stacey's.

I can hardly wait to read Golden Opportunity. It sounds great.

Sandy

Donna Marie Rogers said...

Thanks, Sandy! I'm sure glad you enjoyed Game On as well as Welcome To Redemption since they couldn't be more different...LOL

Anonymous said...

I'm not really the anonymous type but that's the only way I can get on! The internet hates me!

I echo everything Amber said. All your work is so visual I see movies and TV in your future!!!

And I knew you when!

xo, Pet.

Petrina Aubol
Love, Action, and New Beginnings
www.midnightquills.com/petrinaaubol.html
www.thetransplantsdownhometodowntown.blogspot.com

KyAnn said...

Woo Hoo girlfriend. Looks like two more tasty treats coming my way...oh I was referring to the books. the no calorie but still so satifying indulgence. Congratulations on your success and I wish you the absolute best in your uncoming releases.
KyAnn

Donna Marie Rogers said...

Hi Pet, thanks for the lovely compliments. From your lips to God's ears...LOL

KyAnn, I'm so glad you stopped by. :-) It'll be interesting to get your take on one of my non-erotic titles. *G*

Eden Rivers said...

Hi,

Hmm, I just tried to post a long comment, but blogger ate it--naughty blogger! Loved the interview, and I love the brooding cowboy cover--and I'm not even usually a cowboy person. LOL on "learning to share" after writing menages as Liza (snorting iced tea all over my keyboard here).

Eden