Saturday, September 6, 2008

Still in Pain

After the root canal on Wednesday, my jaw started to swell up and hurt...a lot. But I thought that was probably normal after a root canal. Well, by yesterday, the pain was worse than before I went to the dentist and I couldn't take it anymore. Even my coworkers noticed how swollen and red my jaw was.

I left work early and they fit me in for an appointment. They took me back and the dentist (a different one from the one I had before), filed down my tooth a little. She said that I was biting down on it wrong, which was causing the problem. She also gave me an antibiotic.

When I mentioned the pain, she said that the filing it down and antibiotic was going to make the pain go away. Oh really? Because that's what they told me Wednesday and look how well that worked out!

So last night I had another restless night. I have a schedule of OTC drugs down to the hour. I have to write them down so I don't take too much. I've also been taking the antibiotics but they haven't kicked in yet. My chin is still swollen and red and sometimes I feel myself want to drool a little. Fun!

If the pain doesn't go away by tomorrow, I'm never going to this dentist again. Well, I might go back Tuesday to get the crown done so that this tooth doesn't fracture, but then that's it. Who heard of a dentist that doesn't try to help with the pain? I was almost crying yesterday. If they don't like prescribing pain medication, they could just give me a couple days worth. All this OTC medication cannot be good on my stomach.

Anyway... The other morning I was up and in pain and I found something on YouTube that made me smile. Does anyone remember the "Carlton dance" on Fresh Prince of Bel-Air? Well, someone made a compilation of his dances. I love Alfonso! :o)

I hope everyone is having a good weekend!


DebbieS said...

Melly, A root canal should NOT be like that. If it's that sore (not just a little bit of an ache, but down right swollen and sore) they have done something wrong.

It could be that there is infection under the tooth that has no where to drain (if you went in with a sore tooth they should have given you antibiotics, taken out the root, packed it with cotton and let it drain until the infection was long past), or that they have bust through the end of the tooth with the guttapercha points and/or files, to any other host of other options.

I'm not a dentist, only worked as an assistant for a bit, but it was for an A&E dentist so we saw the really ugly stuff, and I can tell you you should not have any swelling or pain like that after the fact. Maybe a little discomfort for a day or two, but no pain like that.

If I was you I'd attempt to find a dentist open this weekend and get them to take a second look, something's not right. It sounds awfully like an abscess, and teh fastest way to fix that is to open the tooth up and literally let the abscess drain through the tooth/canal cavity

Cindy said...

Shit girl.

I am so sorry you are hurting! I've never heard of a dentist that doesn't give something for pain. If you can't find a dentist open this weekend, head to the ER...and do NOT go back to that dentist.

*hugs* and I hope you stop hurting soon!

I love cake said...

Hi Debbie!

Thank you so much for the advice! I decided to wait until I'd taken the antibiotic for at least 24 hours and see what happened then. It does feel a little better this morning (Sunday), but we'll see if it last. If it doesn't, I'm definitely getting a second opinion. Overall, I still don't think this was a good dentist. A routine root canal shouldn't be this bad.

Thank you for taking the time to comment!


Thanks! I'm glad to know I'm not crazy about the pain meds. Isn't that their job? To relieve your pain?

What can you do? I'll will definitely be shopping around for dentists...


Anne Douglas said...

DOh - I'm having a conflict of personalities

DebbieS= AnneD :)

I love cake said...

LOL Hi Anne! It's ok, we all have those days. ;)

Thanks again for the advice! I'm still in some pain. A little more than I was when I first woke up this morning (at 4:00 am!!!).

I guess I'll just wait and see. Tonight I'll be on the antibiotic for 48 hours, so if nothing has really changed, then I'll get that second opinion.