Monday, May 26, 2008

Quickie Review - Sugar Daddy, Lisa Kleypas

I finished my final Memorial Day book yesterday while fishing with my husband and son. It was Sugar Daddy, by Lisa Kleypas.

My friend Jen had recommended this to me awhile ago, but because it was in hardcover, I decided to wait for it to be out in paperback.

I loved it! This is the kind of book I've been waiting for. It has the kind of romance that I've found lacking in books in the past few years.

In a way, it reminds me of a Susan Elizabeth Phillips book-the way it starts out with the heroine as a child and travels across the decades. It's also first person, which was a bit of a shock, but I hardly even noticed it at all.

This book is about Liberty Jones who grows up poor in the town of Welcome, Texas. While living in a trailer park with her mom, she meets Hardy Cates. Although Hardy feels the spark with Liberty, he knows he wants more to life than living in a trailer park.

Years go by and Liberty's life is touched by tragedy and struggle, before finally being helped by a guardian angel or a sugar daddy, depending on how you look at it.

What's weird to me is that this is yet another book about chance encounters. What are the chances of me reading three books like this in one weekend?

But regardless, I LOVED this book. I can't wait to read the second one, Blue-Eyed Devil. But since it's in hardcover, I'll have to wait again. That's okay.

So three books in one weekend. In the past, that wouldn't have been that big of deal, but now I consider that something to be proud of!

This book is definitely going on my keeper shelf to be reread over and over again.

2 comments:

J.K. Coi said...

Hi Melly! I've heard so many people say that they loved this book. I remember reading the blurb and thinking it would be good, but I held out because I just couldn't see myself spending time with characters named "Liberty Jones" and "Hardy Cates". Now I guess I'll have to get it!

Anonymous said...

Hey Melly girl!

I just won this book. LOL

It sounds really good. I'll let you know what I think when I read it. :D