Saturday, January 18, 2014

What Was I Thinking? School Daze

What was I thinking in this picture?



Apparently not much. Maybe: Sky is pretty! Or: Ooo, bird! At first I thought this was me and my brother on the first day of school, but judging by the leaves falling off the trees and our warm clothes, it was further into autumn. The first day of school around here is usually hot and you roast in your new school clothes. (It doesn't stop you from wearing them though. I'm not wearing my tacky old summer shorts the first day of school! I will wear this turtleneck sweater and jeans in the 80 degree weather!).

For some reason we're wearing interchangeable burgundy outfits, although my mom swears the colors are a little bit different. I have my doubts though. Notice how the sleeves are almost covering my brother's hands? That screams hand-me-down to me. Either way, it makes me itch seeing that much corduroy in one place. It's a good thing we were in different classes! 

I'm holding a book bag and my brother has one piece of paper. Apparently that's all he needed for school. Lucky! He wrote all his school work on that one piece of paper so he had to use it well! I remember that book bag. I loved it! The green went really well with my yellow jacket. I remember the yellow jacket too. It shows up in a lot of pictures. Unfortunately.

It's funny because even to this day I have trouble tucking in my shirts. I will buy a collared shirt and tuck it in but it never looks right. It's always coming un-tucked or it's too tucked and my pants are under my boobs. Like a grandpa. Add in some sandals with socks and I've found my look!

As always my hair is out of control. For the first 12 years of my life I had an aversion to a hairbrush. I treated them as the enemy and refused to use them for religious reasons. Not really. Even Jesus brushed his hair! I guess I just didn't care, Looking back, I wished I cared. Just a little.

In the background you can see someone walking a dog. I loved how in our old neighborhood there were always people walking about and you didn't think anything about it. In the neighborhood I live in now, if you see strangers walking around, you reach for your shotgun first and ask questions later! That's a slight exaggeration. Slight...

I'm not sure why my brother is scared. Maybe he sees the fashion police. Or Joan Rivers. But hey, it was the early 80's and the 70's still had a stranglehold on fashion. I'm just lucky there were no bell-bottoms making an appearance. I don't think. There is a slight flare at the bottom of my brother's pants. An angel might've got their wings that day...

But regardless, it was a nice visit back to simpler times when hairbrushes and color clashing meant nothing to me. When staring into space with a blank look on my face was cute instead of crazy. Before I go, I leave you with this one last thought. Was the person walking the dog wearing a beret? WTF? Any guesses?

No comments: