Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Moments

Life is full of moments. The older I get the more I realize this and wish I would've appreciated some of them more. Moments with my father who I miss so much and moments with my son. His childhood is almost over and I wish I could go back and gather all the moments and slowed them down. That little boy with the active imagination who'd run up to me and hug me. I miss that boy. I love the teenager, but I miss the boy.

This evening I was in the grocery store looking for spaghetti sauce when a woman and her little boy came down the aisle. I didn't look at them, but I could hear them talking.

The little boy said, "I found a penny! This is my lucky day!"

The mom said, "Please keep your voice down."

That upset me. He really wasn't that loud and he just sounded so excited. But I couldn't judge her, because I could remember that voice. That was the voice I'd use when I'd start tuning off the chattering and the whining. When I stopped truly listening.

I wanted to go over and say, "Let me see your penny," and enjoy the moment with him. Childhood seems long, but is really so short. I wished I'd thought about that when my son was young. But I didn't. Not always.

I'm not sure what the point of this blog is. For once I don't really have one.

Just make sure you always appreciate your lucky penny. They don't stay around forever.

1 comment:

Ohrant said...

That is the truth. They grow up fast, and you don't get any do overs.