Monday, June 2, 2008

Julia Quinn, The Lost Duke of Wyndham

I finished this book this book Saturday morning. Oh how I wish I could write historical! I loved the richness of this book, and the words used to tell one of the best love stories I've read in a long time. It's kind of strange for me to say that when I just read three books last weekend that I raved about in the same way. But none of them had me stopping to cry because I was overwhelmed by emotion.

Julia has magic in her fingers. That's all I can say. I think another reason I might've been crying was because I just don't know how to convey that magic into my words as well as she does. As a writer, I can't help but be envious.

But since this is a review I should discuss the book, right? And not just my mental problems. This is the story of Jack Audley-a former solder, and now a highwayman. He's a very charming version of Robin Hood. Grace Eversleigh is the companion to the dowager Duchess of Wyndham. The duchess is a tyrant of the worse kind.

This story starts out by Jack attempting to rob the stagecoach that the duchess and Grace are traveling in. The duchess recognizes her son in Jack's face, and is determined he is the real Duke of Wyndham.

Each page I read found me falling more and more in love with Jack. He was charming and thoughtful and just an all around good guy. With secrets.

And Grace, she could hold her own. She might've been pushed around by the duchess, but she managed to make the best of a bad situation.

What else can I say? It's a beautiful story. It was also funny, but the humor was a bit more subtle than her other books. Yet that didn't take anything away from the story. In fact, I think it made the story that much more richer. Like chocolate. Dark chocolate. Mmm... I love chocolate.

I can't recommend this book enough. Five out of Five.

No comments: