Thursday, April 24, 2008
Rules of the Road
see more crazy cat pics
In Melly's Thoughts today, I'm going to list my observations on traffic in the Metro DC area. I'm pretty sure they apply to other places as well, but since this is where I live, it's all I know.
1. Turn signals are optional, and a sign of weakness.
2. Two words: Jersey Walls. Construction is always ongoing in this area, and to make Dept of Transportation feel better, they stick Jersey walls everywhere. "You see this Jersey wall? It means we're working. Just not now." Then they put them so close to the road that everyone thinks they are going to wreck so they start veering into the next lane. The one you're driving in of course. My next career is going to be making Jersey walls. I'll make a fortune!
3. A little rain and snow and people drive crazy. And nice days. When I hear the words "sun delay" I die a little inside.
4. Speed limits are just a suggestion and not something anyone needs to obey. Unless there is a cop on the side of the road.
5. And if there is a cop on the side of the road, people will slam on their brakes. Even if the cop has someone pulled over. Or facing the other direction.
6. There's always one person who doesn't know how to merge.
7. Even with plenty of notice that a lane is ending, people will still play chicken. Usually with a Jersey wall.
8. When coming off an exit, there will always be one person who will break out of the line and try to go around everyone instead of just merging with the rest of the cars.
9. There will always be one car that will take the slow lane too seriously and go below the speed limit. I'm talking way below. Turtle pace.
10. You'll see at least one accident a week. Sometimes one a day. Insurance company's must be making a mint in this area.
My last and most important observation is... PEOPLE ARE WAY TOO MUCH OF A HURRY TO GO NOWHERE. Calm down!
Oh, and in something totally unrelated, the new Grey's Anatomy is on tonight!! Whoo-hoo! It seems like I've waited way too long.