Wednesday, January 16, 2008

e A Novel

I just finished up a book called e A Novel by Matt Beaumont. I got it after reading some recs for his books on a couple romance blogs.

This is not a romance, but a very funny book "...told in a succession of emails that zip around the corporate network with escalating intensity." (That's from the back of the book.) I've always enjoyed books written this style. Meg Cabot had a couple books like this as well, although her books were romances, and this book is more like a trainwreck you can't help but stare at.

The book is about an ad agency set in London who is trying to win the all important Coke account. As you read the book, you watch as the agency slowly go down the drain, and the various characters that help take it there.

I think my favorite was the boss who couldn't stop copying the Helsinki office on every email he sent. He of course thought there was something wrong with email, when it was really operator error the whole time. The best was when he copied the entire corporation. Something most of us are afraid we might do at one point or another. :oP

I have to admit it took me awhile to get the characters straight. In fact, I think I'm going to go back and read it again, now that I know who is who. Yet even that didn't stop me from enjoying it.

I stayed up to 12:30 last night reading it and then woke up early so I could finish it. It's definitely a book I recommend to everyone who has ever worked in a office or just enjoys British humor.

Here's the Amazon listing for the book: e A Novel

I see he has other books listed. I'm going to have to look for those as well. For someone in a reading slump, this was a breath of fresh air!

No comments: