Saturday, November 6, 2010

What happened to Power Rangers?

So it's started. Today my son told me all he wanted for Christmas was clothes. Seriously?? No matter how much I wanted nice clothes growing up, I would not sacrifice other cool things for them. I said, "What about video games?" He said, "Well, yeah, but I don't want to get less clothes for them."

My jaw just about dropped.

This conversation took place after I took him to the mall. He said he wanted a jacket, but he admitted later that it was just a pretense to get me to go. If he acted like it was something he needed instead of just wanted, he could get me out of the house. Sadly, it worked. I'm not a rich person. I rarely have money to drop on clothes for any of us, but I don't want people to say I can't get my son a jacket.

What we ended up getting was a t-shirt and a pair of shoes. And before you think, "Oh, just a t-shirt. That's not bad." We went to the store Hot Topic. A t-shirt is $20. At least I told him no on the second t-shirt.

The shoes... The shoes were these God-awful baby blue checkered Vans. They were $41. I so wanted to judge him for it, but I grew up in the 80's...I wore florescent clothes. I can't judge. I have no Jordache covered leg to stand on here.

If you're wondering what we'll do about a jacket then, don't worry, he does have various jackets around the house. They will just have to do. He knew the choice he was making. If he has to shiver a little, he can just look down at those lovely shoes he picked and remember.

We were walking through Target and he said, "Do you remember when I used to hate clothes and I would go straight for the toys?"

"Yes, I do," I said in a sad voice. Yes, I do...

No comments: