Tuesday, September 16, 2008

True Love

I am so enjoying my Conway Twitty box set. It's all I've listened to in the car since I got it. I'm serious. It's ALL I listen to.

But I do have to admit that I'm not always a fan of the Conway Twitty/Loretta Lynn duets. Yes, I know they won lots and lots of awards for them, but that doesn't mean some of them aren't....well, cheesy. I was driving home today and I heard the song It's True Love. In addition to being repetitive (something that drives me CRAZY), some of the lyrics just made me crack up. So....here we go.

I couldn't find a good lyric site for this, so I'm going to type them.

It's True Love, Conway Twitty & Loretta Lynn

Conway: See that mountain over there? I'll move it for you.
Loretta: Ahh, I know you would.
Conway: You know I'd move it for you.

The first time I heard this song I was like, Awww...that's so sweet. He'd go to any lengths for her! *sigh* Love you, Conway!

Loretta: See the color of my hair? I'd change it for you.
Conway: Mmm... You'd do that for me?
Loretta: You know I'd change it for you.

Wait. He'd move mountains for her and all she's willing to do is dye her hair? A little Clairol is showing love???

Both: Baby, it's true love.
Loretta: And I've never had this feeling.
Both: It's true love.
Conway: And I can't believe it's real.

It's not. She just said she'd dye it for you.

Loretta: No more broken hearts for you.
Conway: Girl, I feel the same way too
Both: 'cause it's true love. Brand new love. With you.

Umm...exactly how many broken hearts has he had??? Maybe he should grab some protection for her as well.

*piano*

Conway: See that star up in the sky? I'll go get it for you.
Loretta: Aww honey, you don't have to do that.

Major eye rolling moment. She does know he can't really pull down a star for her, right?

Conway: You'd know I'll get it for you.
Loretta: See these tears in my eyes? You're making me cry.

Me too. But not in a good way.

Conway: Hey, did I do something wrong?
Loretta: 'cause I'm so happy inside.

*gag* Oh please. Where are my boots? I'd be more impressed if he'd say, "See that diamond in the display case over there? I'll get it for you." And yes, I write romance books. The point is...?

L&C: Baby, it's true love.
Loretta: It's a supernatural feeling.

Supernatural: of, pertaining to, or being above or beyond what is natural; unexplainable by natural law or phenomena; abnormal.

Ok...I'll go with that.

L&C: It's true love.
Conway: And this time I know it's real.
Loretta: No more broken hearts for you.
Conway: Girl I feel the same way too.

We get it. You're a male slut. Moving on...

Both: Because baby it's true love. And I've never had this feeling. It's true love. And I can't believe it's real.
Loretta: No more broken hearts for you.
Conway: Girl I feel the same way too.

Didn't we just say this???

Both: Because it's true love. It's a supernatural feeling. It's true love. And I can't believe it's real. It's true love. It's a supernatural feeling. It's true love. And I can't believe it's real..fade out.

By this point in the song I'm screaming (in my mind), "Shut up, Shut up, SHUT UP!"

Let's recap: He's moving mountains; she's going to the salon. He's stealing stars from the sky; she's crying. A little unbalanced relationship, eh?

And it's true love because they've never felt that way before. It's supernatural. Unexplainable. Abnormal. And he's apparently had his heart broken a lot. Or he's broken a lot of hearts. I'm not quite sure which.

Now I'm just picturing Loretta sitting on her mountain with blonde hair and a big ball of gas hovering right above her. Do I take things too literal? Hmm...maybe...

But in my world, true love takes Visa. (Songwriters, feel free to use that).

4 comments:

Suz said...

This is why you need to listen to Elvis. He had good, quality songs.

I do like Loretta Lynn. Obviously her mistake was in singing with Twitty.......If only we could go back in time. But, that would be supernatural.....

Jeannie said...

Dude...time to take a break from Twitty LOLOL

I love cake said...

Hey now! Don't make me block you from leaving comments!

You just keep your Elvis loving thoughts to yourself!

That Fozzie bear doesn't fool me...

I love cake said...

What is this? Are we having a Conway intervention on my blog? *sniff*

And I thought you were my friends...