Monday, July 28, 2008

Something New, Something Old

Yesterday, I saw two movies, one old, one new. In the morning J and I went to see Wall-E. It was really early...like 10:20 in the morning. When we first walked in, we thought we were going to be the only people there, but suddenly the children started arriving. Young children...toddlers. I was worried at first, but they were actually very well behaved, and the film loud enough to drown out any chatter.

Wall-E is about the last robot on earth, left all alone to continue crushing trash into cubes and using them to build skyscrapers of garbage. He also likes to collect little knickknacks. Things like a Rubik's Cube, bubblewrap, lighters, an old copy of Hello, Dolly! just to start. I come from a long line of clutter collectors so I could totally relate. His only friend is a little cockroach who he has trained to be his pet.

The real action doesn't start until a little later in the movie, but it was still fun to watch his routines and his lifestyle, even if he's wishing to have some companionship. That soon arrives in the form of a robot named Eve. They don't hit it off right away. In fact, she tries to destroy him every chance she gets. But it's funny watching him try to "woe" her.

The last part happens on a ship where humans have been circling the galaxy waiting for earth to be habitable again.

I loved this movie. Pixar really does a great job with all their movies, and this is no exception. I don't think I'd rate it higher than Finding Nemo, but it's definitely up there. I loved Wall-E and Eve. This was their love story.


When we got home, me and J were looking for a movie on HBO On Demand and he wanted to watch Edward Scissorhands. For some reason I've never seen this movie before. It was just one of those things where somehow I missed renting it once it got out of theaters and there never seemed to be a right time to watch it. What a dark movie! But being directed by Tim Burton that just goes without saying.

I have to admit that I didn't "get it". I didn't get what the whole fuss was about. It just drove me crazy that all the misunderstandings were never resolved, and that nobody knew that Edward wasn't doing all the bad things they thought he was doing. I wanted him to be vindicated and he wasn't. I guess the world isn't perfect, and not everyone gets justice. And that Edward was better off in his castle...

Maybe I'll try watching it again. I will say that it's definitely a movie that makes you think, since me and J talked about it for awhile after watching it.

So that's it. My Quickie Reviews for Monday. Now I'm in search of coffee...coffee...

No comments: