Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Eddie...what have you done for me lately???

Eddie Murphy, you should be ashamed!

When I went to bed last night, my husband was watching Norbit. I’d heard this was a bad movie, but that didn’t bother me. I’ve liked lots of movies that the critics hated before.

But this time…they were right.

Now, I have to admit I didn’t see the very beginning, but I really don’t think that would’ve helped.

The whole concept is that Norbit (played by Eddie Murphy…as most of the characters are), is an orphan who marries this awful woman (also played by Eddie Murphy…okay) who pretty much abuses him in the worst way and cheats on him right in front of him. She also hits dogs with her car. Why? I don’t know.

The other significant thing about her is her weight. Something that is beat into us (literally) for the entire movie. The worse being when they have her at a water park. After awhile, even I was a bit uncomfortable with the jokes. I agree with the comments a couple people left on IMDB, why does she have to be mean AND big?

Then there was Cuba Gooding Jr. Why Cuba? Why? You won an Oscar, dude! Do you remember? Show me the money!?!? Do you owe Eddie money or something? He wasn’t even a main character or funny at all. He was just…there… Wasting his talent.

There was also a skinny chick, played by Thandie Newton, who grew with Norbit as an orphan and has come back to buy the orphanage they grew up in, which BTW, I think is actually a Chinese restaurant. That part wasn’t clear to me since I came in after the beginning. Anyway, she is very nice, very sweet and also very skinny. What are the writers saying here? That only skinny people are nice? I’m pretty sure that Eddie helped write this movie, so that’s saying something right there.

The only character I truly enjoyed was the pimp. Here we are in this small town and for some reason you got this pimp walking around. When he’s at a town fair, he decides the girl in the kissing booth is going to be his ho. Yes, a cheap laugh, but there it was.

The one thing I kept thinking this whole movie was how Eddie changed into all these characters-which probably took him hours, for this piece of crap movie. What a waste of time!

I can’t recommend this movie unless you fast forward to Eddie Griffin’s part as the pimp. Otherwise take a pass on this movie.

No comments: